header2
 
 
The Sixth Street Bridge
Date:
1964
Creator:
Albert C. Mazukna
Collection #:
ACC.1998.0030.F1-AC-64-001
Process/Size:
Kodachrome/35mm Slide

Description:
The Sixth Street bridge looking Northeast from Arch St., south of West Ohio St. at the North Side post office. The Buhl Planetarium is located on the right.

Notes:
The Sixth Street Bridge is one of the "sister bridges" of Pittsburgh, so named because it is identical to the Seventh and Ninth Street Bridges which link Downtown Pittsburgh with the North Side. A self-anchored eye-bar suspension bridge that was constructed in 1927 at a cost of $ 1.4 million, it officially opened to traffic on October 19, 1928 and is presently utilized by over 13,000 vehicles per day. It's name was officially changed to the Roberto Clemente Bridge to honor the great Pittsburgh Pirate Baseball player.

films Picture of the week help Link to History Center
 
back to search enlarge image send picture as e-card