header2
 
 
Removal of "The Hump"
Date:
1914
Creator:
N/A
Collection #:
GPC-B007-F03-I01
Process/Size:
Gelatin Silver Print/3.5" x 6"

Description:
View of work in connection with excavation of "The Hump" located where Fifth Avenue now meets Grant Street in downtown Pittsburgh.

Notes:
The removal of "The Hump" in 1913 allowed for more room to build much needed office space amid Pittsburgh's industrial boom. The Allegheny County Courthouse's basement became its street level floor, the Frick Building was also forced to lower its entrance by one story.

films Picture of the week help Link to History Center
 
back to search enlarge image send picture as e-card