Car No. 3 of the Pittsburgh, Knoxville and St. Clair Street Railway.
Pittsburgh is noted as one of the first American cities to employ electric power in operating streetcars, with Pittsburgh Knoxville and St. Clair Railway the first to carry passengers in 1888. Streetcars saw their first service in the South Side. By 1901, there existed 400 miles of track, with 1,123 trolleys, trailers and work cars. Most of these streetcars ceased to run in the late 1960s. The South Side streetcars continued operations, however, until 1999.