Two TWA airplane hangers at the Allegheny County Municipal Airport.
In September 1931, Allegheny County Airport became the successor to the nearby Bettis Field in West Mifflin at a cost of $2 million. The entire site encompassed 432 acres with 50,000 square yards covering the area of a previous slag dump located eight miles southeast of Pittsburgh. The facility served as the commercial airport for Pittsburgh area until the 1952 opening of the Greater Pittsburgh Airport. In the years of its full operation, the number of air passengers increased from 7,772 in 1932 to over 1,000,000 in 1952. In 1960 there were 117,345 takeoffs and landings, that number reached a peak of 226,324 in 1970 and in 1990 the number was 201,244. Air Reserve Units and the Air National Guard used this field as their base until 1992.