Wilkinsburg Police cruiser outside of the Beneficial Finance System Loans Office.
The area now called Wilkinsburg originated as a small settlement called Rippeyville in 1788. Its name was changed to McNairsville in 1790. After 1840 it was annexed to the city of Pittsburgh, but returned to independence in 1871. It formally became the borough of Wilkinsburg on October 5, 1887.