header2
 
 
Wabash Terminal
Date:
Circa 1947
Creator:
N/A
Collection #:
MSP285-B03-F02-I01
Process/Size:
Gelatin Silver Print/8" x 10"

Description:
The Wabash Terminal

Notes:
The Wabash was completed in 1904. It was designed by St. Louis architect Theodore C. Link. The owner of the building, George Jay Gould, had intended his station to compete with and even break the long existing monopoly of the Pennsylvania Railroad. His effort wasn't successful. Following a devastating fire in 1946, the old Wabash Railroad Station and the area around it were demolished to make way for what was to become Gateway Center, hastening the redevelopment of Pittsburgh's downtown region. To the left of the old terminal is what was then known as Ferry Street, and in the foreground is the old Fifth Street, renamed Stanwix Street, the boundary of Gateway Center.

films Picture of the week help Link to History Center
 
back to search enlarge image send picture as e-card