The drilling truck "Jumbo" at work on the Fort Pitt tunnels.
This drilling rig was mounted onto a truck and used to create the two tubes that would become the Fort Pitt tunnel under Mt. Washington. The rig had twelve steel drills that could create holes up to ten feet deep. The 3600 foot long tunnel was constructed Merritt-Chapman & Scott Corporation. Construction began in 1957. The tunnels were dedicated on September 1, 1960.