View of Smithfield Street in downtown Pittsburgh, looking northeast at Strawberry Way.
Note the Lackzoom Store, the forerunner of the General Nutrition Centers (GNC). In 1935, David Shakarian opened a small health food store in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania called Lackzoom. Shakarian's first store was located at 418 Wood Street in downtown Pittsburgh. Lackzoom specialized in yogurt, but Shakarian also sold other healthy foods such as honey, grains and "health sandwiches." The stores names was changed to General Nutrition Centers in the 1960s to capitalize on the growing popularity of "healthily living" and organic foods.