header2
 
 
Butler Plank Road In Glenshaw, PA
Date:
Circa 1900
Creator:
N/A
Collection #:
1997.0206-I01
Process/Size:
Gelatin Silver Print/4" x 6"

Description:
Butler Plank Road in Glenshaw, PA.

Notes:
The Butler Plank Road, laid out in 1852 served as the main passenger and mail road between Pittsburgh and Butler. The road, considered an engineering marvel, was originally made of flagstone and later of wooden planks. It shortened the trip between Butler and Pittsburgh to 14 hours. The planks of the road were eventually replaced by bricks in 1912. The road is now known as State Route 8.

films Picture of the week help Link to History Center
 
back to search enlarge image send picture as e-card