Civilians donate food at the Sanitary Fair.
The Sanitary Fair opened the 1st of June, 1864 in six newly constructed buildings on the upper floor of New Allegheny City Hall. They raised $363,370.09 for the relief of wounded soldiers and their dependants. Sanitary Fairs were held in many cities throughout the Union in 1864. Felix Brunot presided over Pittsburgh's Fair. Stereograph pictures such as these were viewed through a stereoscope, which merged the two pictures into one three-dimensional image.