View of the Duquesne Brewing Company works and surrounding buildings in the Southside area of Pittsburgh.
Organized in 1899, Duquesne Brewing Company had become part of a coalition of brewers called Independent Brewing Company by 1905. Reorganized in 1933 after the end of Prohibition, Duquesne became the largest brewing company in Pennsylvania at 325,000 barrels. Following World War II, Duquesne's production facilities had a capacity of two million barrels. Because of stiff competition and labor problems, the financially-troubled brewery closed its plant in 1972.