Employees of the Evening Penny Press Company, one of Pittsburgh's evening newspapers, in front of its building at 4400 Center Avenue in the Oakland area of Pittsburgh
The Evening Penny Press eventually became known as the Pittsburgh Press. In the period following the First World War, Pittsburgh was a city with many newspapers. Publishers banded together and discontinued the Dispatch and Leader newspapers and divided their circulation among the Post, the Sun, the Press, the Gazette Times and Chronicle-Telegraph. In 1924 the Pittsburgh Press was sold to the Scripps-Howard syndicate and in 1927 William Randolph Hearst purchased the Gazette Times and the Chronicle-Telegraph.