header2
 
 
Kaufmann's Clock
Date:
Circa 1940s
Creator:
N/A
Collection #:
MSP371-B002-F04
Process/Size:
Gelatin Silver Print/4" x 6"

Description:
Crowds walk under the clock at Kaufmann's department store.

Notes:
Kaufmann's Department Store, nicknamed "The Big Store," was founded in 1871 by brothers Morris, Isaac, Henry and Jacob Kaufmann. The first Kaufmann's Department Store was located on Carson Street, however when the business became successful the store was moved to its current location on Fifth Avenue and Smithfield Street in downtown Pittsburgh. It was one of six downtown department stores prior to 1960, sharing this distinction with Rosenbaum's, Horne's, Gimbel's, Frank and Seder's as well as Jonassaon's.

films Picture of the week help Link to History Center
 
back to search enlarge image send picture as e-card