header2
 
 
The Alcoa Building
Date:
Circa 1951
Creator:
Samuel A. Musgrave
Collection #:
MSP285-B001-F05-I02
Process/Size:
Gelatin Silver Print/8" x 10"

Description:
The completed Alcoa building

Notes:
ALCOA Aluminum was originally the Pittsburgh Reduction Company, founded by two pioneers in the development of Aluminum, Arthur Vining Davis and Roy Hunt. The thirty foot, skyscraper was constructed between 1950-1951 by the architects Harrison and Abramobitz. It was paneled with reversible type aluminum windows that feature heat retardant glass. There are two ALCOA office buildings constructed in aluminum downtown. Before 1970 the two ALCOA buildings and USX Tower were the only three buildings constructed from materials made by the company that owns the building in downtown Pittsburgh.

films Picture of the week help Link to History Center
 
back to search enlarge image send picture as e-card