header2
 
 
Diamond Market
Date:
Circa 1950s
Creator:
N/A
Collection #:
GPC-B002-F18-I01
Process/Size:
Gelatin Silver Print/8" x 10"

Description:
The Diamond Market House bridged Diamond Street (now Forbes Avenue in downtown Pittsburgh).

Notes:
The Diamond Market House was built in 1917. It was for years home to many small shops selling fish, meat, produce and other food products. Upstairs was a popular roller skating rink. Note the Circle Café on the left and the Robert Wholey Fish Market (now in the Strip District) on Diamond Street just adjacent to the Market House. The Market House was demolished in 1961, leaving space to build the new Market Square.

films Picture of the week help Link to History Center
 
back to search enlarge image send picture as e-card