|Monongahela and Duquesne Inclines
||The Monongahela and Duquesne Inclines were among the many inclined planes (also known as funiculars) that carried passengers, animals, and cargo from Pittsburgh's South Side to the top of Mt. Washington. Opening in 1870, the Monongahela Incline is the oldest in existence. From 1884 until 1935, an additional incline operated alongside the Monongahela, which carried horses and automobiles. It is operated by the Port Authority of Allegheny County.
As more roads were built along Mt. Washington and automobile ownership increased, passengers on the inclines dwindled. In 1962, the Duquesne Incline Plane Company closed the Duquesne Incline (with the solid red cars), which had been in operation since 1877. However, two years later a citizens group called The Society for the Preservation of the Duquesne Heights Incline repaired and reopened the incline.
|Please take our short survey.